Who: Age 16-18
Where: Marlborough Sounds
When: 25 Sept-15 Oct 2017
Deadline: 15 September 2017
What: Swap your classroom for the outdoors, for three weeks of adventure and self-discovery.
AYLI (Aotearoa Youth Leadership Institute) is partnering with Outward Bound to offer scholarships in 2017 and 2018, for their amazing Mind Body Soul course! Mind Body Soul is especially for 16-18 year olds, so you'll get to experience Outward Bound with people who are your age. On the course, you'll learn more about yourself as you get to push yourself physically and mentally - with sailing, tramping, rock climbing, and kayaking challenges. Of course, you'll also have opportunities to grow your leadership skills by stepping up to support your 'watch' (or team).
To apply, you must be:
- Aged 16-18 during the course
- Available to attend the course in Anakiwa on our scholarship dates
In 2017, the course will be held from 25 September - 15 October. These dates are not flexible.
- Able to run 3km in under 25 minutes and be comfortable in and around water
- A current New Zealand resident
- Someone who wants to create positive social or environmental change!
When you apply, you will have to send:
- A copy of your CV
- A reference from someone you know in your community
This could be a family friend, sports coach, club leader...
- A reference from a teacher at school
Or: if you're studying in tertiary, a lecturer or tutor; if you're not in study, someone else from your community
- Your answers to a couple of questions about why you want to go.
Costs you will need to cover if you are selected
- A $500 course deposit.
- Travel to and from Picton.
- A doctor's visit to complete Outward Bound's medical form (see below).
- Any gear you might need to buy for the course (that is, your outdoor clothing and equipment).
Read Outward Bound's gear list / travel guide here.
Costs your scholarship will cover
- Your $3,680 course fee!
Other things to know
- Outward Bound are really experienced in running these courses, and they'll do a great job looking after you. You can read about their safety record here.
- To help keep you safe, Outward Bound asks participants to complete a medical form. If you are offered a scholarship, we'll ask you to make an appointment with your doctor to do this - so we want you to know what it entails. Participation in the course is subject to your doctor's approval through this form.
- Outward Bound does have screening guidelines that could prevent some people from attending. Please read them here and let AYLI know if you have any questions.