Who: Ages 18 - 25
When: Late Oct - Mid Dec, 2017
Cost: Medical clearances
Deadline: 30 June, 2017
What: Travel to Antartica and help to preserve history. Be a part of the conservation effort working on the Antarctic explorers' huts.
The Antarctic Heritage Trust (AHT) is a New Zealand-based not-for-profit with a vision of ‘Inspiring Explorers’. Through its mission to conserve, share and encourage the spirit of exploration the Trust cares for the remarkable expedition bases of early Antarctic explorers including Captain Robert Falcon Scott, Sir Ernest Shackleton and Sir Edmund Hillary. It shares the legacy of exploration through outreach programmes and encourages the spirit of exploration through expeditions to engage and inspire a new generation.
The focus of the position will be to support AHT to undertake the ongoing Maintenance and Monitoring Phase of the RSHRP at Shackleton’s, Scott’s Huts and Hillary’s Hut on Ross Island, Antarctica. The work carried will be reflected in the attention it receives from the international media, broadcasters, international funders, stakeholders and the Antarctic community.The focus of the position will be to support AHT to conserve Hillary’s Hut. There may also be an opportunity to assist with the ongoing Maintenance and Monitoring Phase of the Ross Sea Heritage Restoration Project at Shackleton’s and Scott’s Huts on Ross Island, Antarctica. A key part of the role is to communicate the work of the Trust and that undertaken by the Blake Antarctic Ambassador. The Blake Antarctic Ambassador is made possible by the logistics support of Antarctica New Zealand.
Time frame: Late October 2017 – mid December 2017
- 18-25 years of age at time of application;
- A New Zealand citizen or a New Zealand resident;
- Able to demonstrate a passion for New Zealand’s natural environment ;
- Able to demonstrate a contribution to New Zealand's natural environment;
- Able to demonstrate experience in remote outdoor settings;
- In exceptional health with a high standard of fitness;
- Able to show leadership potential;
- Hard working, adaptable and a team player;
- Independent, self-confident and self-reliant;
- Articulate and experienced at presentations and public speaking;
- Able to show a high standard of writing ability.
To complete the application for the Blake Antarctic Ambassadorship please ensure you complete the online application.